It doesn’t matter if you just bought a new car with a gorgeous paint job or just had your old car freshly painted, you need to protect it from the elements. One of the best ways to do that is by installing a ceramic car coating film. This is a thin clear film that is actually placed on the front of the car to prevent the paint from being chipped, scratched and damaged by flying gravel and bugs as you drive from one destination to another.
You can have the car paint protective film installed by a professional or you can do it yourself if you have patience and can follow the basic directions. You can buy the protective film in rolls or kits. If you’ve ever handled window tenting film, then you have a good idea of how this film works. It’s the same principal because this thin thermoplastic urethane film adheres to the surface by means of an acrylic adhesive that’s pressure sensitive.
The steps for installing car paint protective film are listed below:
1. Have a clean dust free environment. You cannot install this film in an area that is not spotless.
2. Gather together all of your supplies. This includes the roll of film or kit, knife, squeegee and application solution.
3. Now measure and cut out the film to fit your car. This step can be difficult because it must be precise. If you’re not sure if you can cut the film to the right measurements, then it’s recommend that you buy the custom designed kits. In these, the film is already pre-cut to fit certain models.
4. Now that everything is ready, you need to prepare the vehicle. It must be completely spotless because any dirt and dust left on the car will be trapped under the film.
5. Use the application solution to wet the area thoroughly. Remove the backing from the film and gently place it in position without applying any pressure. Once it’s in place, take the squeegee and smooth out the water and air bubbles. Begin in the center and work your way outward for the best results.
6. Once the film is in place and all the bubbles have been squeezed out, use the knife to trim off any excess film.
After completing these steps you’re ready to enjoy driving your car around without worrying about it being damaged by the elements. It can be a tedious job installing car paint protective film but if you take your time and have patience, you’ll soon be enjoying all the benefits from your hard work.